A guide to how Kwanzaa, a winter celebration of family, friends, and the African American community, can be part of life all year round provides information on the seven principles and offers ideas for planning Kwanzaa gatherings. - (Baker & Taylor)
FROM PREPARATION TO CELEBRATION,
MAKE YOUR KWANZAA A FAMILY TRADITION!
Traditionally, Kwanzaa brings family, friends, and the community together for a winter celebration. But Kwanzaa can be a part of your life year-round. Steeped in cultural richness, Kwanzaa is observed by millions of people of African descent who observe it for its seven inspiring, unifying principles. Whether you’re a first-time celebrant or a seasoned veteran, here is a must-have reference for making Kwanzaa special for you and your loved ones—whatever your faith or belief system. With this book, you’ll learn:
* Planning for daily observance and festive gatherings
* The seven principles at the heart of Kwanzaa
* How to involve everyone in your Karamu (feast)
* Recipes for traditional dishes you can make at home
* Zawadi (gifts) that reflect your values
* Popular Kwanzaa songs—and even one Kwanzaa rap
* Where to find the best Kwanzaa accessories
. . . . And much more! Let Kwanzaa: From Holiday to Every Day show you how to turn your Kwanzaa observance into a way of life that will enrich your family, friends, and community.
“Of the several books on Kwanzaa, few are invested with such utility as Maitefa Angaza’s thorough-going discussion and analysis . . . a meaningful, wonderful guide.”
—Herb Boyd, author of Black Detroit: A People’s History of Self-Determination - (Random House, Inc.)